01 February 2010

A tractor update

The first of the year has brought a new experience my way, working on a tractor, and doing it with my kids. It's been a great learning experience. I've finally figured out what a cam shaft does, what the valves do, and a host of other things about motors.
Every time I've gone to work on the tractor I've taken along some of the kids. Aravis has gone the most. She's very much into Barbie's and I'm hopeful that I can add some color to her life with an appreciation of tractors. I posited the idea of making a Barbie tractor movie that would have a different plot line than all of the other Barbie movies she has. She likes the idea very much and is working on some ideas as only a 4 year old girl can do.
Asa has gone twice and Moses once. They serve as good time keepers. When they start saying they're beyond cold, then I know it's time to pack it up for the day. This keeps our time to a realistic pace. They helped a bunch last week when we put the gas tank back on. There were two nuts that were impossible for me to put on, but their small hands were just right.
Anna said early on this would need to be a project that included them and it's becoming a great deal of fun. Later this week the carburetor should be finished being rebuilt and we'll hear the old engine run.

No comments: