13 August 2010

A Tale of Three Kings

Jesus said, "You have heard that it was said, 'an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.'  But I say to you, Do not resist an evildoer.  But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also; and if anyone wants to sue you and take your coat, give your cloak as well; and if anyone forces you to go one mile; go also the second mile." - Matthew 5.38-40

In Gene Edwards drama centered on the story of David, Saul and Absalom (A Tale of Three Kings) these line reflect Jesus' teaching:

Joab:  Why David?  Why did you not end these years of misery?  He (Saul) is mad!  And God is no longer with him.  And David, he will yet kill you!" 

David:  Better he kill me than I learn his ways.  Better he kill me than I become as he is.  I shall not practice the ways that cause kings to go mad.  I will not throw spears, nor will I allow hatred to grow in my heart.  I will not avenge.  I will not destroy the Lord's anointed.  Not now.  Not ever."

No comments: