27 January 2011

A Confession

In The Way of the Pilgrim and The Pilgrim continues His Way, there is a conversation that leads to a reading entitled "A Confession which leads the inward person to humility."
The confession has the following outline.  The description following each point is rich.


  1. I do not love God.  For if I loved God I should be continually thinking about God with heartfelt joy.
  2. I do not love my neighbor either.  For not only am I unable to make up my mind to lay down my life for my neighbor's sake (according to the Gospel), but I do not even sacrifice my happiness, well-being and peace for the good of my neighbor.
  3. I have no religious belief.  . . . If I were firmly persuaded and believed without doubt that beyond the grave lies eternal life and recompense for the deeds of this life, I should be continually thinking of this.
  4. I am full of pride and sensual self-love.  . . . Seeing something good in myself, I want to bring it into view or to pride myself upon it . . . If I notice a fault in myself, I try to excuse it, I cover it by by saying, "I am made like that" 
If you want to know how to overcome this evil, strive after enlightenment of spirit by every means in your power, attain it by diligent study of the Word of God and of the holy Fathers, by the help of meditation and spiritual counsel and by the conversation of those who are wise in Christ.

(pp. 133-137)

No comments: