03 October 2016

What do you like about your job?

On Saturday I ran into a young man on the street who knew me from my work at Schweitzer. He introduced me to his friends. They were waiting to enter a popular eatery in Springfield.

One of they young men, being a bit intoxicated, engaged in conversation. He asked what I did as a profession. I replied, I'm a pastor. Then he asked, "what do you like about your job?"

I think it's the first time I have ever been asked about what I like about my work. I knew I did not have much time, so I said to the young inquisitor:

I like that I get to talk about Jesus, who lived, was crucified, and resurrected. I like that I can share the hope of Jesus with a world that does not have an abundance of hope. I like that Jesus gives peace to an anxious world. I like seeing people become all they are meant to be when they become followers of Jesus.

After a couple of other exchanges the young man excused himself. He returned with a cigarette in hand and indicated that he needed something to calm his anxiety.

Evidently my brief reply was anxiety inducing, or there was something going on there between the young man and the Spirit that I was left out on. The language of classical orthodoxy would say a spirit of conviction was visiting the young man. Conviction is a call to a different kind of life. Blessed are those who receive its grace.






No comments: