13 June 2024

Moses Graduates, again . . . and a longer story

 

We are proud parents! Our eldest son, Moses, graduated in May from Asbury Theological Seminary. He earned an MA in Theology. He earned the same degree I received.

Moses makes the fifth person with a last name of Leininger, connected to my grand-parents Claire & Doris Leininger, to have a degree from Asbury. My uncle Dean graduated in the late 70's. I graduated in 1997. My cousin Joel, Dean's son finished in 2007. Joel's wife, Tammy also graduated in 2007. Ironically, Joel and Tammy would meet following seminary and begin their family. 

We are anticipating at least one more degree from Asbury. Moses' wife, Emily, should finish up the spring of 2025. That will make 6 Leininger's connected to Claire & Doris with a degree from ATS, who would have thought it? Only God!

When Claire and Doris were newly married I'm unsure if they had much of a faith practice. Doris' dad had a connection to an old-order Mennonite congregation. Claire's family was connected to a (now) Missouri Synod Lutheran Church. As I've heard the story, in the early years of their marriage they were farming long hours, forming their family, and uninvolved in faith.

What changed? The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) received a new pastor who was born and raised in California. During the 2nd World War he was interred at a Japanese Camp. At the end of the war, Rev O  would go onto seminary and then relocate to northwest Ohio. Rev. O and his wife loved Jesus and loved people. They gathered my grandparents into a small group Bible study and there they encountered Jesus. 

My grandparents faith was real and lively. I've heard stories of my grandfather going with others from church to a rescue mission in Toledo, OH and preaching. My grandmother had her own kinds of pulpits, and did she ever use them. They loved the songs of faith, the people of the church and community, the scriptures, and Jesus. They weren't perfect, but Jesus did a fantastic work in them. And through them, they blessed their family.

I'm proud of my son. And, I'm grateful for a legacy of faith that includes a Japanese-American family that also knew the power and redemption of God and shared that with my grandparents. They could have been bitter and victimized by what they went through. Instead, they let the healing power of Jesus work in them, and through them worked hope and redemption in others. 

Our son, has graduated, again, this time with a Masters' degree. One can only wonder what God will do with the story of his life. Whatever it holds, To God be the Glory! 

 

No comments: