09 January 2006

We know Joy - They knew fear.

I gave this lesson to the Children at our worship service on Christmas Day, 2005
_____________________

Merry Christmas! What an exciting day! I hope you’ve already had a great morning celebrating the birth of Jesus.

When I was a little boy, I looked forward to Christmas with great anticipation. I could hardly go to sleep the night before Christmas! I was anxious. I guess that some of you are like that too.

One emotion I don’t ever recall having was that of fear. You probably aren’t afraid of Christmas either.

Yet fear was one of the experiences of the people at the first Christmas. When the angels showed up to talk with Mary, she was afraid! When an angel talked with Joseph, he was afraid! When the angels came to the shepherds, they were afraid!

They were all told that God wanted to do something in their lives, and it was a bit scary! Yet they all did what the angels of God said to do. Because of their faithfulness, we have great joy! We celebrate with excitement!

Someday, God may have something for you to do that’s a little scary. But it just may be a door for you to bring Jesus and great joy into the life of someone else.

As you celebrate today, give God thanks for the faithfulness of Mary, Joseph, and the Shepherds, even in though they were afraid.

Heavenly Father we thank you for sending Jesus into our world and for giving us the joy of salvation. Help us to be faithful like Mary, Joseph, and the Shepherds. Come into our lives, live with us. Amen.

No comments: