15 August 2006

Soul Care?

Recently I called a company to inquire about disability insurance. The person on the other end of the phone asked what I did for a living. I replied that I was "clergy." She asked, "what does that mean." Not knowing exactly what to say, because I do all kinds of particular tasks, visiting the sick in the hospital, playing basketball with teenagers, praying in worship services, putting together a budget or a trip, teaching, etc., I finally said, soul care. I'm in the business of caring for souls.

The person on the other end of the phone said, "That's creative. I've never heard that one before."

The place I called advertises with a Christian broadcaster. The people seem to have an orientation toward being churched. I wonder, what would they say their pastor does?

What does your pastor do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

he visits the sick in the hospital, he plays basketball with teenagers, he prays in worship services, he putts together a budget or a trip, he teaches, etc., and he is in the business of caring for souls.