30 October 2011

This year has held a few firsts, today was one of those days. I ran a 1/2 marathon.
In the spring Anna and I started running together.  When we arrived on campus at Asbury we kept it up.  We run about 2 miles 4 times a week. 
In August Ken Nash, another Beeson pastor from Grand Rapids, took me for a 6 1/2 mile run around Notre Dame.  The next day we did another 5 1/2.  He started to say, you can do a 1/2 marathon.  So a plan went into motion and this morning at 7:45 we commenced.  I finished in 2 hours, 7 minuets and and a few seconds. 
The Psalm below can truly be a runners Psalm, for there were moments in the race when I was indeed calling for mercy, and when my strength was gone. 
The Psalmist prays a joyful regard for God's shepherding.  I'm thankful for the wonderful encouragement of Ken Nash, who coached me through the entire race and chided me to finish strong.
I am glad the Lord is my strength and tonight my heart is leaping for joy.
The next endeavor is coming up this Saturday when Anna, Moses, Asa and I will run a 5K here in Wilmore.   

From Psalm 28
 6 Praise be to the LORD,
   for he has heard my cry for mercy.
7 The LORD is my strength and my shield;
   my heart trusts in him, and he helps me.
My heart leaps for joy,
   and with my song I praise him.
 8 The LORD is the strength of his people,
   a fortress of salvation for his anointed one.
9 Save your people and bless your inheritance;
   be their shepherd and carry them forever.

No comments: