20 October 2011

The Unbusy Pastor

I recently read the following quote from Eugene Peterson's book, The Contemplative Pastor.  I find that Peterson rattles my cage:
____
Years ago I noticed, as all pastors must, that when a pastor left a neighboring congregation, the congregational life carried on very well, thank you.  A guest preacher was assigned to conduct Sunday worship, and nearby pastors took care of the funerals, weddings, and crisis counseling.  A congregation would go for months, sometimes as long as a year or two, without a regular pastor.  And I thought, All these things I am so busy doing - they aren't being done in that pastorless congregation, and nobody seems to mind. I asked myself, What if I, without leaving, quit doing them right now?  Would anybody mind?  I did, and they don't.
(page 25)

No comments: